Fall Events In the Kansas City Northland
There are a few hints to signify that its finally fall season. The morning weather carries a new crisp feel, the leaves have begun to slowly change color, Chiefs season is in full swing, and our Kansas City communities are starting to host their annual autumn events! Here at KCI Expo Center, we’re experts at holding parties and events, so we decided to come up with a list of local things to do with the family in the Northland.
The number one event to attend in Parkville is the Miles for Meals “Halloween Hustle”. This 5k run will take place at the Platte Landing Park on October 26th and kick off at 8:00 am. After the run, replenish your strength with goodies from the trunk-or-treat from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm. Miles for Meals will be raising money to provide food, activities, and socialization for senior citizens in the metro area. Not only that, but there will also be a costume contest with prizes involved, so preregister for this event to have fun for a good cause.
- Trunk or Treat at the Platte Community Center South – 5:30 to 7:30 pm on October 25th, this is a free event
- Pumpkin Carving for Ghost Stories at the Parkville Nature Sanctuary in the west shelter – 6:00 to 8:00 pm on October 24th, volunteers needed to provide pumpkins for Ghost Stories Night
- Ghost Stories Night at the Parkville Nature Sanctuary – 6:30 to 9:00 pm on October 27th, this is a kid-friendly event with a haunted trail, campfires, and smores for just $5 a ticket
Dia de Los Muertos – October 20th
This autumn, Gladstone is the place to be. We’re most excited about their Dia de Los Muertos community event on October 20th. This event is free to attend at Kessler Park, right by the Kansas City Museum, and will have live music, puppetry, arts and crafts, and even a fashion show! There will be plenty of rich history and culture for your family to enjoy, including an altar installation, handmade sugar skulls, and food trucks. Come celebrate a new kind of festival this season, the fun starts at 1:00 and goes until 4:00 pm.
- Whiskey Fest at Linden Square – 4:00 pm to 9:30 pm on October 20th, celebrate fall with local distilleries, live music, and alcohol tasting (for free!)
- Pickin’ on the Front Porch at the Atkins-Johnson Farmhouse – 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm on October 19th, outdoor bluegrass concert
- Fright Night Trick or Treating in Oak Grove Park – 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm on October 18th, local businesses and churches will all pitch in to provide candy and other treats, this is a free event
- Big Shoal Cemetery Tour at the Atkins-Johnson Farmhouse – begins at 1:00 pm on October 12th, explore the cemetery and hear stories of who is buried there, guided tour with refreshments, tickets are $10
- Scare It Halloween at the Scarritt Renaissance neighborhood – 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm on October 31st, this is a free event with live music, food trucks, costumes, and a haunted house, with all the trick or treating your kids can handle
We think this one goes without saying, but the must-attend ongoing event of the fall season is the Liberty Corn Maze! This is a Kansas City staple, as we’re sure many of you have already taken your family to this massive corn maze. This year’s theme will be Wild West in the Midwest, and focuses on the outlaw Jesse James. There are 8 different mazes with corn helpers so you never get lost, as well as a playground for the kiddos, on-site concessions (including a beer garden) and campfire pits. This event takes place from September 29th and goes to October 27th. They are open every weekend, Fridays from 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm, Saturdays from 10:00 am to 10:00 pm, and Sundays from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- Trick or Treat in Downtown Liberty – 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm on October 31st, walk through local shops in the historic downtown to trick or treat
- Public Paranormal Investigation at Belvoir Winery – 8:00 pm to 1:00 am on October 11th, use paranormal gear to detect ghostly activity within these historic walls and be guided by the Paranormal Research Investigators
- 34th Annual Fairytale Forest at Martha LaFite Thompson Nature Sanctuary on October 18th through the 20th, come to this non-scary event lit with jack-o-lanterns along the trail to collect candy from costumed characters, then enjoy arts and crafts
- Graveyard 5k Run and Walk at the Elmwood Cemetery – 9:00 am to 12:00 pm on October 26th, join KC Crew to race around the cemetery, all proceeds benefit cemetery maintenance, stick around after the run for beer, wine, and whiskey tasting
North Kansas City
We know that your pets also count as family, so we decided to include an event all about them too! Howl-O-Ween will be held in the Tails and Trails dog park in North Kansas City. There will be costume and best trick contests with prizes for the scariest pooch in town. The Grandview MO Police K9 team will also be doing a demonstration. This free event will be on October 12th from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm.
Hell on the Hill hosted at 3530 N Myrtle Avenue – 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm on November 2nd, enjoy live music from local bands on an outdoor stage, a haunted trail, and a $100 costume contest
KC Bourbon Trail at Children’s Mercy Park – 6:30 pm to 10:00 pm on November 9th, sample bourbon and have dinner with a live auction
We hope you enjoy these events around the Northland, we know we definitely will. Have a fun and safe fall season, and don’t forget to check out KCI Expo for local tradeshows, conferences, and events.